BEAUTIFUL LAYA GASA TREK( 15 Days)
This trek begins at Drugyel Dzong passing through interesting villages, scattered hamlets and farmland. Vegetation zones differ from richly forested valleys to high alpine pastureland where Yak herders graze their animals.
Trout fishing in a sky blue lake with magnificent views of three majestic peaks is an activity that can be done on a rest day. You will also encounter rare species like the blue sheep, and with any luck, possibly even the snow leopard.
Day 01: ARRIVAL PARO
- Arrive at Paro Int’l Airport; you will be received by our representative and transfer to the hotel, afternoon visit the National Museum (Taa Dzong), Rimpong Dzong and drive to visit the ruins of Drukgyel Dzong.
- Later visit the 7th century Kyichu Monastery; Dinner and overnight Hotel.
Day 02: EXCURSION TO TAKSHANG & ACCLIMATIZATION
- Following early breakfast, excursion to view & visit the spectacular Takshang Monastery; “Takshang” literally means Tiger’s Nest. The Monastery is believed to have been built in 1684 on the spot where Guru Rimpoche (founder of Buddhism in Bhutan) flew on the back of a Tigress and meditated to subdue the demons in Paro valley. The trail to the Monastery climbs through beautiful pine forest, many of the trees festooned with Spanish moss and an occasional grove of fluttering prayer flags. This incredible Monastery clings vertically to the edge of a granite rock cliff that plunges 900 meters above the valley floor.
- Lunch at Takshang Cafeteria; Evening at leisure in town
- Dinner & overnight Hotel
Day 03: SHANA TO SOI-THANGTHANGKHA (22km, 7 hours)
- Drive to Shana Zampa where trek starts to Soi-Thangthangkha. The trail continues along the side of Pa Chu through thick conifers and rhododendron vegetation, which also falls under the demarcation of Jigme Dorji Wangchuk National Park.
- With a gentle climb on the rock through Oak forests and crossing streams, you will see Phari Dzong of Tibet.
- Further climbing the ridge, cross the Paro Chu on a wooden bridge, you will reach Soi-Thangthangkha at an altitude of 3630 Mtrs.
- Overnight Camp Soi-Thangthangkha.
Day 04: SOI-THANGTHANGKHA TO JANGOTHANG (19km, 5-6 hours)
- You will start to have closer views of Mt.Jumolhari from the campsite; you should try viewing early in the morning for the best sites. Today’s journey begins with a short and gentle climb across an army post and Takethang, a sparsely populated village with stone made houses on a plateau at an altitude of 3940 Mtrs.
- Campsite is at the base of Mt.Jumolhari. Overnight Camp Jangothang.
Day 05: JANGOTHANG TO LINGSHI (18 Kms, 5-6 Hours)
- Today you are trekking across Nyelela pass at an altitude of 4890 Mtrs. You should make sure you are feeling perfectly fit and fine. You will come across a settlement shortly after you start the journey, which is the last settlement in the valley.
- From along the trail you can continue to view Mt.Jumolhari and Mt.Jichu Drake from a closer range.
- Dropping down to the valley at 4450 Mtrs, you will stop briefly for lunch.
- Trekking further away, you will see Mt.Jumolhari in its full bloom.
- Further you will reach Nyelela pass and descend down to reach Lingshi.
- Overnight camp Lingshi.
Day 06: LINGSHI TO CHEBISA (10 km, 5-6 hours)
- Today you will start with a walk down through the wooden bridge below Lingshi Dzong, along side of a single house, which is a part of Lingshi village; you will have a close view of the Dzong which is at an elevation of 4220 Mtrs. After an hour of walk, you will come to the ridge of prayer flags and further, settlement of Goyak at 3870 Mtrs. Leaving Goyak, you will come across Chebisa village at 3880 Mtrs. Overnight Camp Chebisa.
Day 07: CHEBISA TO SHOMUTHANG (17 km, 6-7 hours)
- The route today climbs through ridges passing few houses, where Blue Sheep are visible. Also you will have chance to see Vultures and Himalayan Griffons flying over head; further climb to reach Gombu La (4440 Mtrs.0 and further, you will reach yak Herders huts and then over the side of the valley, down to Shakshepasa at 3980 Mtrs. And an army helipad, marked by big H.
- Then drop down to Shomuthang and camp by the river at Shakshepasa
- Overnight Camp shomuthang.
Day 08: SHOMUTHANG TO ROBLUTHANG (18 km, 6-7 hours)
- A gradual climb up the valley, you will have great views of the snow caped Kang Bum Peak (6526 Mtrs).
- After two hours of climb up hill, you will come across Jharila Pass (4747 Mtrs.), from where you can have view of Sincha La. The big snow capped mountain in the north is Mt.Gangchhenta (Great Tiger Mountain) 6840 Mtrs. And Mt.Tshering Gang; on top of Mt.Jumolhari is visible during clear weather.
- Camp by the river is called Tsheri Jathang, where Takkin, the national animal of Bhutan are visible; this area is declared as Takkin Sanctuary.
- Climb up and reach Robluthang at 4160 Mtrs.
- Overnight Camp Robluthang.
Day 09: ROBLUTHANG TO LIMITHANG (19 km, 6-7 hours)
- Today you will come across Sinche La (5005 Mtrs.), the last and highest pass on this trek route. It is at a high altitude and the trail gradually descends down. Passing through the prayer flags at this pass, you will reach Kango Chu; continue further to Limithang camp, there is a huge glacial lake at the foot of the valley.
- Crossing the Kango Chu at 4260 Mtrs. You will reach Limithang at 4140 Mtrs. You can view Mt.Gangchhenta from a distance.
- Overnight Camp Limithang.
Day 10: LIMITHANG TO LAYA (10 km, 4-5 hours)
- Walk for a while to enter through the deep vegetation and descend down to the river valley at 3800 Mtrs.
- Further walk through dense forest to find a stone house with paddy field and monastery up above. From the west of the village, you can view Mt.Gangchhenta and some parts of Mt.Massagang 7165 Mtrs.
- In the center of the village is a community school and hospital. Camp below school at 3840 Mtrs.
- Overnight camp Laya.
Day 11: DAY HALT AT LAYA
- Day at leisure visiting the remote population of Bhutan and experience their lifestyle
- Overnight camp Laya.
Day 12: LAYA TO KOINA (19 km, 6-7 hours)
- The trail ends at Khonying Stupa, passing to another Stupa at Jaje-kha. Crossing the river through a wooden bridge, you will arrive at army camp and check post, where all foreign travelers are required to register their movement.
- The peak of Mt.Massagang (7165 Mtrs.) is barely visible. The route follows down to Mo Chu downstream all the way to Punakha; you will climb lots of ups and downs to reach Kohi Lapcha at 3300 Mtrs. And then drop down to Koina at 3050 Mtrs.
- Overnight Camp Koina.
Day 13: KOINA TO GASA & DRIVE TO PUNAKHA (14 km, 6-7 hours)
- Crossing the bridge at Koina and climbing up hill through muddy trail to Bari La at 3900 Mtrs the route descends down through Bamboo forest.
- Descending at 3080 Mtrs you can see Gasa Dzong; you will further descend down to the stream at 2780 Mtrs and pass through four Chortens on the ridge at 2810 Mtrs.
- The trail passes through Jigme Dorji National Paro, which leads through the Dzong and School.
- After reaching Gasa, drive to Punakha.
- Dinner & Overnight Hotel.
Day 14: PUNAKHA TO THIMPHU
- After breakfast, visit Punakha Dzong, a historic monument which was once the central secretariat building of Bhutan until the time Punakha was the old capital. This Dzong looks like a floating ship between two rivers Pho Chu and Mo Chu and was built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. This Dzong is still the winter residence of Je-Khenpo, the chief abbot.
- Later drive to Thimphu; enroute visit Wangduephodrang & Chime Lhakhang, a monastery popularly known as Temple of Fertility and is regarded as pilgrimage site for barren couple. Lunch at Dochula Pass cafeteria; and continue drive to Thimphu/transfer to hotel.
- In Thimphu, visit Textiles Museum & Handicrafts Emporium; visit the National Library, Indigenous Hospital, Folk Heritage Museum & Bhutanese Handmade Paper factory; Visit Post & telegraph office to view Bhutanese Stamps.
- Evening visit Tashichhodzong, the main Secretariat building that houses Headquarters of all Ministries, office of the King and the Throne Room. It also houses the State Monastic Body and the living quarters of the Chief Abbot.
- Overnight Hotel
Day 15: DEPARTURE
- Early breakfast, and transfer to the Paro International airport for departure.